My experience as a journalist.

I was fortunate to work in a local newspaper for my training course. Writing has always been my passion, so I made sure to enjoy this experience and make something out of it. I was surprised that the journalist career isn't like what I expected, of course nothing comes easy but it's impossible when people draw lines for you not to cross. I learned a lot from this experience and from three of my colleagues who were training in the same place. It was just refreshing, and the fact of writing something for people to read is just fulfilling.

My first feature in the magazine was about Yoga, something I was, and still, interested in. I wanted to discover more about it and share it with the world, so I started my investigation by a push from the editor by guiding me how to start. I interviewed a yoga expert who was incredibly generous with all the knowledge she shared with me. I wanted to interview couple of random people but I was scared to death and I don't know why. I just find it hard for me to approach them out of sudden, so I kept observing a number of women in the gym and I'm sure I looked like a creep!

Anyway, I got down to business and it was super fun. It wasn't like writing an assignment or a research paper, and surely not like writing in your diary. It was a new process of writing to me, I had to be direct, objective and most important, I had to be informative. The process had cleared my mind and helped me a lot in my school assignment. It's the thing when you start writing and think about words and how to put them all together. It's like breaking down a wall and let it all flood out of your brian, and it's the best feeling in the world.

I waited so long for it to be published and in the day when I forgot all about it, it was out!

As for now, I'm not sure of making it as a career but I'm sure about one thing, that I will keep on writing and improving with time. Maybe one day, my words will change someone's life.. or just introduce them to things they didn't know before, that's fine with me.

Comments

  1. What I would do to have an article published..anywhere! So proud of you young lady! I am sure you were darn thrilled! :")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am! Well, you can contact your local newspaper or magazine and ask them or if you want to work as an intern to get an experience, I bet they'll take you in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad story really. I did, the whole plan was to spend the summer as an intern in 'The National' magazine...when I went to apply they implied that I had to be Emarati to intern there...well she said being a Yemeni..it was going to be very 'Hard' to get it all done. I just dropped it...it wasn't going to happen. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gurl, I was so proud of you when I read that article you've written for design mag!
    I was showing it to everybody saying: look, I know the gurl who wrote this,, this is ma friend Nouf! LOL
    Reading this post had really inspired me.. I always wished to work for a mag, maybe I'll at least apply for the experience in my Practicum2. I love to write, but, in the same time, I'm afraid of how commitment to a job that consist of a lotta writing would sound like. It's such a challenge. Being always objective is a hard thing for a gurl used to the expression of feelings through writing.
    The idea worth trying anyway. Knowing how it sounds like in the real, practical life, you helped me get the whole pic :)
    Thank you for writing this post, my new inspirer!
    I'll b tuned in <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Ghaida <3 That is so sweet of you wallaah, I still have the magazine I took from you I feel so awful about it but I was incredibly excited when you told me. I wasn't expecting it at all!! Well, about working as a journalist, let me tell you it's absolutely amazing! You'd be astonished how words could flow right out of your mind once you start working on an article. The process of conducting a piece of writing is worth the while, you won't regret it! I know you'd do a great work, you're such an amazing thinker before being a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment