Book: Divergent By Veronica Roth


In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.



My rating: 5 / 5. First, I would like to recommend a great review by M*; Click.

 

I must admit that I love dystopian novels, I love getting lost in them until I lose touch with reality. I think a good dystopian novel is the one that makes doubt what you already know about the real world and makes you believe the world you're reading about exists. Divergent was an awesome read. As I was reading the first page, I knew this story is going to build up very good. The whole concept of the city divided into 5 factions according to their quality; the brave, the honest, the selfless, the intelligent and the peaceful. And every year, the sixteen year olds have the choice to either stay in their faction or transfer. Beatrice doesn't belong anywhere, she had enough of being in the selfless faction because she was curious but yet she can't seem to know where does she belong. Nonetheless, she chooses another faction. Her life changes upside down, new community, new people and completely new experience. Not only her life that has changed, Beatrice starts to question everything she used to know.

As I was reading Divergent, I kept thinking where would I belong. I'm sure I'm not selfless nor peaceful. And I wouldn't call myself brave or intelligent. I don't think one can define himself with one quality, how can a whole city sort out its citizens accordingly. I was really intrigued by this book. The writing is amazing, too, it has a gripping storytelling. Like any other dystopian YA, the book has the element of romance but not as cheesy. The author is only 23 years old and she is going to be big with a highly anticipated sequel expected to be published on May 1st, 2012.

Comments

  1. dystopian novels are my favorite , I loved the book and finished it so fast
    but one thing I didn't like is that there's no enough description for the characters like I have no idea what tress looks like except that she's small & blonde ? other than that it was verrry entertaining can't wait for insurgent !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I didn't notice that detail.. Now that I thought about it I really don't know how Tris looks like haha. Can't wait for Insurgent, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment