Cheers for Life.



Last month was probably the busiest month of this year, it combined joy and celebration with sickness and sadness. First, it was Eid ( Muslims holiday that comes after Ramadhan.) and it was so special because I truly lived the experience of family gatherings and visiting rounds. I wasn't much of a fan of these social obligations until this Eid, when I hit it off with couple of my cousins and got couple of BB pins which it seems the popular way of communication even between family members! It was fun anyway. Second, I got to stay more at my grandma's that I didn't visit for a whole year! Then, and what's even more exciting, I went to our old hometown with mom, bro and my little sister. I haven't been there for probably 7 years and I was so excited to see my cousins there. It is amazing how a person could feel at home in a place he hadn't seen for years, I loved that feeling. Our trip to the old hometown was fun even though it was a 4 hours drive. On the contrary, our way back home was a disaster! I got so sick and I couldn't sit straight on the car seat. I had a really strong nausea, flu and fever plus a very nasty eye-infection. So I spent the rest of the exciting month sick in bed! I'm fine now but the infection is still there, they said it will go away with time. I know I'm not supposed to be writing this or using my lap top at all but the blogger in me had to get this out of my head. All in all, it was so much fun and enlightening, I got the chance to interact more with people and discover more about me. And even though when I was sick in bed or stuck in a dark room because I couldn't see, I learned how amazing life could be if we lived it right. This was a lesson and a kick in the ass to make me appreciate life more, to shake off my dark history with depression and to omit pessimistic side of me and start living.

Comments

  1. We always complain about these social gatherings, the harsh truth is, we secretly want them. Well, it's my truth at least. The reason I dislike gatherings is because they always end up with a lot of yelling (no matter what the occasion is), someone would throw a fit and storm out. The girls/boys in my family, I don't know anyone. They all live in some different family-gathering-less world. My cousins, sister and I are the only grown up kids that show up, it's sad. As I said, I want us all together, no fights, just some tea, coffee...mothers putting and showing off their deserts. I miss that, God knows I do. I guess people move on, get sucked in their daily life routine. It wasn't always like this, up until 8 years we used to have BBQ reunions with more than 17 families, lots of food, flying kites, soccer...this is making me feel pretty darn nostalgic. When I went to meet my family in KSA, it was the loveliest thing, even though I didn't know anyone of them, I felt like I was home, we never stayed up late at someone's place till Fajr prayers..lots of talks, laughs, catching up. It was all just perfect.
    *gets all emotional*
    Allah yisam7ik :'o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I'm so overwhelmed with so much emotions I'm feeling in this comment. I've never got such a passionate response xD I absolutely agree with every single word you have said. If I regret something, it's that I didn't do that earlier. I felt so happy even though I'm not so close to my cousin, but it was good though. I'm sorry to hear about boring family gatherings you've had, mine are not that fun, too. It's the time that changes everything.. I hope if we could take it all back and live it again. Maybe, when you get a family of your own, you'd make sure these fun gatherings happening again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what my cousins, sister and I promised each other this Eid. That we won't let our kids/family be strangers and go through those awkward occasional meetings, that they would gather every week. I can see it already, it would be lovely! :3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment