Book: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan



Jennifer Egan's spellbinding novel circles the lives of Bennie Salazar, an aging former punk rocker and record executive, and Sasha, the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Although Bennie and Sasha never discover each other's pasts, the reader does, in intimate detail, along with the secret lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs, over many years, in locales as varied as New York, San Francisco, Naples, and Africa.



My rating: 3 / 5

It pains me to say that the books is nothing like what I have expected. I thought it would be a fun fast-paced book with so many music references that will make it super fun. The book turned out to be somewhat plain. It has its moment, there was a chapter or two that were so great.. the other chapters gave me the feeling that the writer was lost and didn't know where to go with this book! If you asked me about what this book is about, I wouldn't know how to answer. The book has multiple narrators, and their stories somehow intertwines with each others'. There was a whole chapter that was made by ppt slides and the narrator was a kid, it was so brilliant that it was just as coherent as the other chapters. All in all, the book wasn't up to my expectations..

Comments