Book: The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly


High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.


 

 

4 / 5

I enjoyed reading this book, it was so different from the other books I read before. I enjoyed reading more before going to sleep for it has this magical effect of making you feel like a child curled up on his warm bed and fascinated by his mommy's stories. I know it's kind of stupid saying this but it actually made me feel this way. The author was brilliant in twisting the old fairies into something so dark, and they really make more sense than the original ones. Although the books is about a magical world and retold fairytales, the book is too dark and cynical for children but yet it has valuable lessons for them. The copy I own has cool features, I don't know if other editions have the same or not. At the end of the book has a Q & A section and text on the fairytales that has been used in the book and the origin of them. It was a great reading experience and the extra notes made it better.

Comments

  1. I'm moved! :'| The review behind the book is enough tempting. Reading your review made me more convinced! I think I'm reading this soon. It looks really different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally recommend it for you! It's pretty amazing, you could curl up in your bed and just start reading and get lost in the magical world of this book. It's perfect for bedtime read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment