Book: Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.


Carl Streator is a reporter investigating Sudden Infant Death Syndrome for a soft-news feature. After responding to several calls with paramedics, he notices that all the dead children were read the same poem from the same library book the night before they died. It's a "culling Song" - an ancient African spell for euthanizing sick or old people. Researching it, he meets a woman who killed her own child with it accidentally. He himself killed his own wife and child with the same poem twenty years earlier. Together, the man and the woman must find and destroy all copies of this book, and try not to kill every rude sonofabitch that gets in their way. Lullaby is a comedy/drama/tragedy. In that order. It may also be Chuck Palahniuk's best book yet.



My rating: 2.5/5.

I was really disappointed with this book, I expected way too much from it. It was fun and just fine, nothing more than that. The story of the book is obvious as the quote above is shown, it's simple and totally new! I thought it would be such a thrilling to read about it but sadly, the book proved me wrong. The book goes up and down, it's like as if the author is zigzagging throughout the ending. It was so hard to finish it in one week because it gets so thrilling and exciting and then in one point, the fast rhythm just fall down to pointless details that has nothing to do with the plot. I was so happy that I finished this book which I rarely do with books. I can't say I hated it but I didn't have fun reading it, I was bored with the minor details and slightly pleased with Palahniuk's sense of humor. There are some good quotes. I still like Chuck Palahniuk, thou, and I hope I get disappointed again.
Spells to fix spells to fix spells to fix spells, and life gets more miserable in ways we never imagined.

Comments

  1. i was waiting for your review on this book after seeing it in your "currently reading"
    so it's not that good ? hmm you need to give me some good stuff so I can read after graduation*inshallah* :P .. I bet I'm gonna have a lot of free time -.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, sorry to disappoint you xD It was ok.. I was like Meh when I finished it and couldn't wait to throw it back to the shelf! I'm still looking forward to read his other books, I hope they'd be better. Keep in touch, the book I'm reading now would probably be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment