Book: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.


In one of the most acclaimed and original novels of recent years, Kazuo Ishiguro imagines the lives of a group of students growing up in a darkle skewered version of contemporary England. Narrated by Kathy, now thirty-one, Never Let Me Go hauntingly dramatises her attempts to come to terms with her childhood at the seemingly idyllic Hailsham School, and with the fate that has always awaited her and her closest friends in the wider world. A story of love, friendship and memory, Never Let Me Go is charged throughout with a sense of the fragility of life.

 

My rating: 4/5.

I must admit it was slow at the beginning where I thought it might be a wrong idea for being so excited to read it. By reading it page by page, I started getting into it. The book was beautiful in a really sad way. I didn't get the concept of this imaginary school, where clones are made especially to donate their organs, but the idea grew to me. The book was exciting in the sense of getting under layers and layers of Kathy's memories of her life at that school and of her closest friends, Ruth and Tommy. Beside the sad love story and strange friendship, there was the story about power, authorities and the conflict between fair and unfair, at least it's how I saw it. The book might seem mysterious and weird at first but the process of digging deep into memories with Kathy was worth the read. I must say I wasn't so pleased with the ending but that didn't keep me from tearing up at how beautiful they have accepted their sad destiny.

Comments